Des Moines Renaissance Faire Status
The project began with the requirement of finding twenty five merchants who would invest in having a shop built.
- April 2005: The initial merchant meeting (including a tour of the land) was held. Over 40 visitors showed up, representing over 20 merchants.
- May 2005: Another informal meeting/social gathering
happened during the Memorial Day Weekend Des Moines Renaissance Faire
- One down, twenty four more to go. We have received a deposit from our first merchant.
- 5/25: The city zoning board voted 6-to-1 for the project.
- June 2005: Now over a dozen merchant deposit checks have been received, and enough verbal agreements have been received that the project appears to be a go! More details when we get them.
- July 2005: Ground clearing is underway, and the framework for the workshop/backstage storage building is going up.
- August 2005 : The initial group of merchants who
will be part of the advisory council are being invited back to the site
to pick out their location, and decide on building style.
- 8/25: Most of the framework and roof supports for the workshop building are up, and underground water and power lines have been run throughout the site, ready to hook up to the shops that will need them.
- 8/31: Concrete is being poured at the storage/workshop building.
- September 2005: The concrete is poured. "It went well."
- October 2005: Sleepy Hollow's Halloween event was held, with the hayrack ride touring the festival site and seeing a sneak preview of where the pirate ship stage and gallows will be located.
- December 2005:
Logo design contest flyers sent to local colleges with Graphics Design
departments (Central, Drake, Graceland, Grandview, Simpson).
Winner will have their designs utilized and receive a scholarship.
Deadline is March 15th.
- 12/11 & 12/12: First public informational meetings held at Sleepy Hollow.
- January 2006: Unseasonably warm temperatures allow
banquet hall building to be constructed ahead of schedule.
Merchants start making visits to Des Moines to meet with the architect about
the design of their building.
- 1/16 & 1/23: First two audition/interview meetings were held.
- February 2006:
- 2/13 & 2/20: More audition/interview meetings scheduled.
- March 2006:
- 3/11 & 3/12: More audition/interview meetings scheduled.
- April 2006: Construction of castle facade begins. Sherwood Forrest/Pirate's Warf area cleared.
- May 2006:
- 5/19: A small renaissance festival for Des Moines area schools held at Sleepy Hollow. Garb Fest and informal merchant meeting/social gathering held afterwards.
- Initial construction of first merchant buildings and castle facade well underway.